What are Pelvic Floor Weights?
Pelvic Floor Weights also known as vaginal weights, Kegel weights or Kegel eggs, are small, weighted devices, made from smooth medical grade silicone, designed for insertion into the vagina with the purpose of strengthening the pelvic floor muscles. They serve as a resistance tool to strengthen and re-train the pelvic floor muscles with the aim to assist with symptoms such as urinary incontinence, vaginal heaviness and improve sexual function.
BIEN Pelvic Floor Weights come in a set of 4 progressive weights to ensure that your pelvic floor training can progress as you get stronger. Similar to how you would train any other muscle in the body, the pelvic floor needs to be progressively overloaded in order to improve strength, endurance and co-ordination.
Who can use Pelvic Floor Weights?
Pelvic Floor Weights may be suitable for individuals who are experiencing urinary incontinence, vaginal heaviness or laxity, decreased sensation during intercourse or lacklustre orgasm. They also may be recommended after childbirth or in preparation for pregnancy, during or after menopause or to prevent weakness in those with risk factors for pelvic floor dysfunction, such as chronic coughing. Pelvic Floor Weights may assist with the following:
- Leaking with exercise
- Leaking with coughing, sneezing, and laughing
- Pelvic organ prolapse symptoms such as vaginal heaviness
- Pelvic floor weakness after birth
- Decreased sensation during intercourse
- To improve Pelvic floor co-ordination and technique
- To progress your current pelvic floor exercise program
What are the benefits of using Pelvic Floor Weights
- Strengthens Pelvic Floor Muscles: Pelvic Floor Weights add resistance to the Pelvic Floor helping to target and strengthen the specific muscles responsible for controlling your bladder and bowel.
- Improved Muscle Tone: Regular use of Pelvic Floor Weights can enhance muscle tone and restore the pelvic floor's ability to support the pelvic organs, control the bladder and bowel and enhance sensation during intercourse.
- Increased Awareness: Using Pelvic Floor Weights can help individuals become more aware of their pelvic floor muscles, making it easier to engage and control them consciously.
- Enhanced Confidence: As pelvic floor muscles regain strength and tone, individuals often experience reduced symptoms and improved pelvic floor function, such as leakage during activities like coughing or exercising. This newfound confidence can significantly improve their quality of life.
- Enhanced Vaginal Lubrication: A responsive pelvic floor can lead to increased vaginal lubrication, making sexual intercourse more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Increased Blood Flow: Strong and toned pelvic floor muscles can enhance blood circulation in the pelvic region. This increased blood flow improves muscle function, vaginal lubrication and is essential for sexual arousal and heightened sensitivity.
How to use Pelvic Floor Weights?
- Select your starting weight and wash it with warm water prior to use. We recommend always starting with the lightest weight unless otherwise advised by your health care provider
- Place a small amount of BIEN Water Based Intimate Gel or other water-based lubricant on the leading edge (opposite end to the “tail”) of the vaginal weight
- In a reclined position, part the labia and insert the Pelvic Floor Weight into the vaginal canal ensuring to relax the pelvic floor
- Ensure the whole weight is inside the vagina and at least 3cm inside the vaginal opening. All that should be visible is the tail on the outside
- Once the weight is comfortable, start your desired program. This may include walking around the house, doing household chores or performing exercise like Pilates and yoga. Leave the weight in for approximately 15 minutes, or as advised by your health care provider. Other suggestions may include:
- Insert Pelvic Floor Weight and perform 10 reps of contracting and relaxing your pelvic floor. Have a break for 10 seconds and then repeat this 3 times.
- Insert Pelvic Floor Weight and squeeze and contract your pelvic floor. Try to hold this tightened position for 10 seconds and then relax completely. Repeat this 10 times.
(If you are not sure if you are contracting and relaxing your pelvic floor you can watch this video explaining how to self assess your pelvic floor).
- Once your desired time of use is complete, relax the pelvic floor and remove the Pelvic Floor Weight by gently pulling on the tail
- Wash with warm water and soap and store in the bag provided.
To shop our collection click here.
Note: Not all users will be able to retain the Pelvic Floor Weights when standing right away. If this is the case, you may start in sitting or lying down position and work up to standing. For more information about pelvic floor weights click here.